Woohoo, we're back with a blog post on a different kind of ceremony...a tea ceremony! I got to celebrate with Chris and Jenny last month photographing their TWO ceremonies! They had a traditional Vietnamese tea ceremony in the morning and in the evening had their "regular" wedding. What a fun day! This was my first tea ceremony, so it was very cool to experience something a little different.
On that note, I thought I'd include a little bit of a background on what you'll see below since it's a little different.
Here's what Chris & Jenny's schedule was like:
- Groom and family come to bride's house bearing decorated lacquer gift boxes covered in red cloth. They are greeted by the bride's family at the door.
- Formal family introductions
- Asking ancestors for permission/blessings with incense.
- Mom walks bride down aisle (in this case, stairs!!) First time bride and groom see each other!
- Exchange of wedding rings.
- Serving of tea to parents/family.
- Couple presented with gold jewelry (for good fortune) and red envelopes with money (to help start their lives together).
- Candle ceremony symbolizing joining of the bride and groom and their families.
- FOOD! Homemade traditional Vietnamese food of course! (it was delicious!)
Stay tuned for another blog post on their "other" wedding!